The Grade II* listed church, built in 1878, was designed by Sir William Emerson, an eminent architect who also designed Kolkata’s Victoria Memorial, a major Indian landmark. Although Gothic Revival in style, it includes Oriental features reflecting Emerson’s many years working in India.
The church was added to Historic England’s Heritage At Risk Register in 2014 and deemed to be in desperate need of repair. A first phase of restoration work was carried out in 2016 to the church’s north aisle, with support from the National Churches Trust.
This phase will repair the historic red brick and sandstone of the West end, restoring its decorative features eroded by the sea wind and requiring urgent attention. It will remove cement mistakenly added as a fix in the past. A turret will be rebuilt, windows refurbished and roof tiles and slate replaced.