The church dates from the 13th and 15th centuries with extensive restoration in 1860 and 1876. It is heavily associated with the Dymoke family who have owned the estate since the 14th Century under the Dymoke name, and since Doomsday under the previous family line of Marmion. A 13th Century tomb within the church is suggested to belong to the Marmion line. The church is Grade II* listed and, despite phases of restoration in the 19th Century, retains many earlier features and monuments. There is also a pulpit, situated in the middle of the church, taking the attention of the congregation away from the altar end and suggesting a shift in emphasis of services when it was installed in the 19th Century. There is a plaque on the wall which identifies St Benedict’s as the Ancestral Church of U.S. President George Washington, who was the four times great grandson of Frances Dymoke (1545-1613).
The church dates back to the 13th century, with the last major renovations and improvements carried out in the 1860's. The roof slates are now at the end of their working life and are struggling with water ingress. Furthermore, electricity and the ability to offer refreshments are essential if the church wishes to pursue community activites. The remedy is to replace the roof with slates, as now, and replace and improve all water goods. The church has been donated some beautiful oak panelling which will be used to hide a new servery.