St Andrew

 

The Bishop of Winchester dedicated St Andrew’s Church, Chale, in 1114. The building is largely medieval with Victorian extensions.

There are many interesting memorials in the church including one dedicated to members of 40 Marine Commando and the crew of HMS Fidelity, who trained in Chale during World War II. The crew included First Officer WRNS Madeline Barclay, possibly the only woman to die while serving aboard a Royal Navy ship during the war, all of whom died when Fidelity was torpedoed off the Azores in 1942.

The project will assist the congregation to install toilet facilities with disabled access in the former north porch. In addition, a kitchen will be fitted to the west wall.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county