St Andrew’s church is one of London’s best kept secrets - an amazing piece of high Victorian architecture in Stoke Newington. A programme of extensive repairs is about to bring the church back to life. The parish of St Andrew was created to accommodate the expanding population of Stoke Newington in the last quarter of the 19th century. Improved public transport meant that men working in the City or even the West End could easily commute to and from their new homes. The church, designed by the prolific ecclesiastical architect AW Blomfield, was consecrated in 1884, a year after the foundation stone was laid. The church boasted a lawn tennis club, an enthusiastic and very active choir, a committee programming dramatic performances and concerts, and two guilds that organised walks, bicycle rides, and visits for the men and women of the parish. The congregation regularly made generous donations to a variety of charities.