Our Lady of Peace
Designed by architect P.D. Hepworth, Our Lady of Peace was built between 1939-40 and is constructed of brick, rendered and painted, with grey pantile roofs and overhanging eaves. The basilica style church, sanctuary, and two-storey presbytery form a complex of buildings perched on the side on a characteristically steep Welsh valley. The interior is striking for its simplicity, rendered and painted white with coloured roof panels. Designated by an independent architectural assessment as of ‘outstanding significance’, the church is exceptional, not only by dint of its imposing beauty, but also as one of the few in Wales to display influences of the inter-war movement in continental modernism. Completed shortly before the Second World War, its prominent location led to the exterior being coated in dark bitumen paint and netting to avoid detection in wartime air raids. This camouflage was subsequently painted over in later years and is contributing to present problems.
The project is the first phase of four which will work to repair the building as trapped moisture/damp is threatening the historic fabric. This phase will repair the most urgent parts of the roof.