Minster Church of Ss Thomas
The first church was built in 1180. Samuel Whitfield Daukes designed the new church, which was built on the footprint of the medieval church in 1857. Stylistically it is in a Geometric Decorated style with liberal use of cusped tracery showing inspiration of A W N Pugin Gothic Architecture. As much material as possible was retained from the medieval church including medieval Caen and Quarr stone and several fine 17th century furnishings. In 2008 Newport Parish Church was granted the title of Minster in recognition of its contribution to the wider community.
Externally there is significant erosion to the stonework and there is a need for further repairs especially to the lower stages of the tower, around the west door and along the south elevation. There is water ingress at high level and the south nave and south aisle roofs need a complete re-roof. Internally there is one small WC, which is accessed via the kitchen. A programme of external repairs is planned to make the building wind and watertight and enable it to be removed from Historic England's Heritage at Risk Register. The roof will be repaired using Douglas Fir for timber repairs and new welsh slate. Eroded stone will either undergo a mortar repair, shelter coat to match existing stone or replaced matching like for like using Bath and Caen stone. Internally a re-ordering of the west end is proposed to create two new spaces on the ground floor for use as a choir vestry, family area and for community use for hiring to generate an income for the building. There will be 4 new WCs including a fully accessible WC and baby change. A kitchen will be installed with servery to cater for larger events.