Killinchy Presbyterian Church
The Killinchy Presbyterian congregation was established in 1630. Originally built in 1714 (mainly due to the efforts of Rev. James Reid) but appears to have assumed its present cruciform plan in 1739. At this stage (though the Memoirs make no mention of it), the church was in the hands of an ‘Arian’ or non-subscribing portion of the congregation (as were many other Presbyterian churches at this time), who were eventually forced to give up the building in 1839 and construct their own to the south in Raffery town land. In the late 1890s Rev. William Smyth carried out extensive renovations to the church, installing heating and new pews, adding the label moulding to the openings and building the boundary wall. The last major alteration to the building occurred c.1940-50 when the externalsteps to the galleries were removed. Each wing of the cruciform has two evenly spaced windows each to the long walls and centrally positioned doorway below a central window within an otherwise plain gable. The pointed arch windows to the long walls each have simple ‘Y’ tracery, each ‘lancet’ having margins. The windows are surmounted by moulded drip stones with labelstops. The SW gable has centrally positioned, diagonally sheeted timber doors. Above the double doors was a second set of double doors which was reached by an outside stair case (now all removed). Directly above the upper double doors is a pointed arched window. The NW gable is similar. The SE and SW gables are similar but the upper double doors have been replaced with a multi-pane window. There are simple stone cornices with blocking courses between the upper and lower doors. The windows are surmounted by moulded drip stones with labelstops. The building is finished in lined render and has cast iron rainwater goods. The roof has Bangor blue slates and decorative finials to each gable. Since then only nominal renovations and improvements have taken place to maintain the church to a level that enables it to be used.