Church of the Holy Name of Jesus

 

The church is constructed of brick faced externally with coursed sandstone and internally with buff terracotta tiles made locally by Gibbs & Canning and dates from 1871. The tower incorporates reinforced concrete within the predominantly stone-faced brick structure. The main body of the church is rib-vaulted with hollow polygonal terracotta blocks, much lighter than stone, which makes the church unusually spacious.

The Church of the Holy Name of Jesusis owned and served by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) and is the church of the Catholic chaplaincy of Manchester’s universities.

The project will address water ingress which led to catching water coming in through the roof in buckets! The grant will support the total replacement of the south side chapel roofs, as well as masonry, window and rainwater goods repairs, in this active church of high heritage value.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county