Late C12 origins and subsequent alterations, restored in 1790 by Thomas Telford and again by George H. Birch in 1885-6; further restoration in 1894. Red sandstone blocks; slate roofs. West tower. The village is lively though shrunken due to the loss of the railway station and market pace. It has a good congregation. The tower houses six bells and regularly attracts visiting teams. Four of the bells are pre-1600 and in 1998 two new bells were added, enhanced by a National Lottery grant.