All Saints

 

In recent times the poor condition of the church has put visitors off. Once the repairs are completed, the church aims to encourage more people to use it, whether for concerts, exploring their history or just to appreciate the craftsmanship. There has been a church in Newton since Saxon times. Originally dedicated to All Saints it was known as St Mary's circa 1848-1890 before reverting back to All Saints. The current Grade II Listed Building dates from 1849, although the tower is approximately 900 years old. The church was rebuilt twice in the 19th century, first in 1839 and then again in 1849. Both rebuilds were financed by the Dawnay family who resided at nearby Beningbrough Hall. John Oates was commissioned by the 6th Viscount Downe, William Henry Dawnay, to rebuild the body of the church and this was completed in 1839.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county