The church was built circa 1330, the decorated gothic period. The tower height was increased and nave clerestory added c1450, the perpendicular period. The oak nave roof has 18 carved gilded angels and 65 gilded roof bosses. In 1859-1862 the church was reordered and restored by Gilbert Scott. The nave, aisles and transepts were fitted with pews and the east window was enlarged. A north side extension,1873, created a vestry and organ chamber. The tower has 10 bells installed 1889 by Taylors Bell foundry of Loughborough.
The annual inspections revealed that the north chancel gutter has had evidence of ponding for some years and as a result significant water ingress has occurred, damaging the internal wall plaster. Examination by a timber specialist 2019 revealed extensive deterioration of the underlying gutter and roof timbers which will need to be removed and replaced. The work will be phased with the north chancel gutter first, then the external lower level stonework repairs and finally the internal plaster repair and redecoration of the chancel walls.