All Saints

 

The current church was first built c.1330. The height of the tower was increased and a clerestory was added in the perpendicular period, about 1450. The glorious nave roof, with 65 gilded bosses and 18 carved angles, was inserted at this time.

Having addressed water ingress in the nave, the next step is to prevent water ingress in the chancel (the oldest part of the church) through the roof due to failure of the north parapet gutter and through the exterior base of the walls. The walls were encased in unsuitable stone in the 19th Century; this has weathered badly and the stone at the lower levels is detaching. Works include replacing stonework, altering the slope of the ground, repairing the north parapet gutter, and some repointing. The water ingress has also damaged interior plasterwork which means renewing the plaster, cleaning the historic chancel monuments (1673 onwards) and decorating.

 

 

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county

Back to Map