Community Grants - Apply
The 2018 Community Grants Programme is now CLOSED!
Community grants ranged between £5,000 and £25,000 and were awarded towards projects introducing facilities to enable increased community use of places of worship, specifically toilets or catering facilities.
To qualify, projects had an estimated cost of at least £25,000 (including VAT and fees).
Places of worship of any denomination and age can apply. We will consider applications from listed and unlisted Christian places of worship across the UK. For 2018 we continue to encourage applications from our priority areas - North East England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, as well as from Baptist and Presbyterian churches, but other churches may still apply.
The application process begins with an eligibility quiz. Please answer these questions accurately. If you are eligible you will be able to continue to the application form.
These are broadly:
- Is yours a Christian place of worship (but not a cathedral) in the UK, and open for regular public worship?
- Do you own the building or have the right to carry out the work?
- Was your place of worship built as a place of worship originally, and are the works proposed due to take place within or attached to it?
- Is the building oen to the public for a minimum of 40 days a year beyond worship use?
- Is your total project cost estimated at over £25,000 (including VAT and fees)?
- Have you already raised 50% of the total project cost?
- Is the project being led by a qualified professional, with conservation accreditation if it is a listed building?
- Have you got all necessary permissions approved and in place before applying?
Other eligibility criteria apply. Please refer to the 'Guidance Notes' for further details.
How to apply
The Community grant programme has now CLOSED. Find about our revised programmes, and future funding availability here.
Our grants programmes are changing. Details of deadlines beyond 2 July 2018, and the programmes and funding for 2019, will be announced later in the year. A new programme will be live at the start of September with a deadline at the start of November. Find out more here.
Before applying please read the guidance note. We can only accept applications submitted online.
Decisions on all grant applications are made by our Grants Committee, comprised of experts from the church and heritage sectors, which meets three times a year. Unless projects are clearly ineligible, decisions will only be notified following a meeting.
Unfortunately the amount of funding available is limited, so we can only offer grants towards a small proportion of the many important and deserving projects which we are asked to support. We strongly encourage you to apply for as many other grants as possible and to start local fundraising as early as you can. For more funding sources and fundraising advice please click here.