Our grants secure the future of more churches and chapels

Published: Wednesday, June 24, 2015

 

36 churches and chapels in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are set to benefit from grants totalling £607,000 from the National Churches Trust.

The funding from the National Churches Trust – the charity supporting church buildings of all Christian denominations across the UK – will help pay for urgent roof and other structural repairs. It will also help fund improving access and the installation of kitchens and toilets to enable more churches to become community hubs.

13 of the churches receiving funding are on Historic England’s  Heritage At Risk Register.

The National Churches Trust funds church buildings of all Christian traditions and funding benefits Church of England, Roman Catholic, Church of Ireland, Church of Scotland, Church in Wales,  Methodist, United Reformed and Wesleyan Holiness places of worship.

Huw Edwards, Vice President of The National Churches Trust said:

“The UK’s churches and chapels are a treasure trove of architecture, history and faith. But these buildings don’t belong to the past.  They pay a vital role in our present and future too, acting as places of worship, community centres or simply somewhere to go for quiet contemplation.”

“The cost of keeping churches and chapels wind and watertight and paying for the installation of modern facilities is far beyond the means of congregations.” 

“That’s why the latest grants from the National Churches Trust are so important as they will help ensure that more of the UK’s places of worship remain open and in good repair for many years to come.”

Claire Walker, Chief Executive of the National Churches Trust said:

“Since 1953, the National Churches Trust has helped over 10,000 churches and chapels with funding for urgent repairs and the installation of community facilities such as kitchens and toilets.”

“Grant funding continues to remain at the core of our work. In 2014, thanks to the generous support of trusts, Friends and supporters, we were able to help 119 churches, chapels and meeting houses with funding worth over £1.5 million.”

“In the last few years, increasing numbers of churches want to make it possible for more people to use their building for meetings, concerts and other events. “

“I’m therefore delighted that this year, we’ve been able to provide more money for this work and in this round of grants round we’ve made available £150,000 to help 13 churches and chapels to improve access and install kitchens and toilets.”

“Helping churches and chapels remain wind and watertight remains a key priority too, and our latest grants include £457,000 of funding to help 23 churches and chapels pay for urgent repairs to their building.”

“Churches and chapels are at the heart of communities throughout the UK.  Our latest grants will help to ensure that more places of worship remain in good repair and open for the benefit of people who use them and the communities they serve. “

FULL LIST OF JUNE 2015 GRANTS

BERKSHIRE

EASTBURY

St James the Greater, Eastbury RG17 7JL             

Grade II

Church of England

Diocese of Oxford

£10,000 National Churches Trust Community Grant to fund a project to make the church building of greater use to the community by updating the facilities to provide a welcoming and convenient place for groups to meet. Work will include installing modern accessible toilets (there is no public toilet in the village), a kitchen and refreshment facilities and a meeting space at the back of the church.

St. James the Greater was designed by George Edmund Street, the leading practitioner of the Victorian Gothic revival. Though mainly a church architect, he is perhaps best known as the designer of the Royal Courts of Justice, in the Strand in London.

The church was built in 1851-3 and is located at the centre of the village of Eastbury, which has some 265 residents.  Flint from the local Downs is used for the walls. Most windows are stained glass, but the most notable window is engraved plain glass by Laurence Whistler, 1971, in memory of Edward Thomas, the poet, well known for his war poetry and who was killed in action during the Battle of Arras in 1917.   The design shows a symbolic landscape with lines from Thomas's poems floating across the scene.   

CORNWALL

St DOMINIC

St Dominica, St Dominic, PL12 6TP            

Grade I

Church of England

Diocese of Truro

£30,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to safeguard the 15th century barrel-vaulted ceilings with 96 carved bosses by helping to fund a project to replace two leaking lead valley gutters and to re-fix roof slates.

Dedicated in 1259, the medieval church of St Dominica is of high importance and is listed Grade I. The 13th century walls of the original Church and the top stage of the tower and all the other walls were erected in the late 15th or early 16th century. The barrel-vaulted ceilings have moulded ribs and plaster panels; there are 96 carved bosses and particularly fine wall plates. The church and churchyard adjoin an area of outstanding natural beauty.

In addition to regular services, christenings, weddings and funerals, the church is used by the local Church of England Primary School for their services and annual nativity play. It is also used for craft fairs and for other events such as concerts for the community at large.

COUNTY DURHAM

BRANCEPETH

St Brandon's Church, Brancepeth DH7 8DF          

Grade I

Church of England

Diocese of Durham

On The Heritage At Risk Register

£10,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to fund a project to stop the decay of stonework to the church’s Jacobean North Porch, which is of great architectural and historic significance.

St Brandon's Church is listed at Grade I and was once one of the most outstanding medieval churches in the Diocese of Durham. It was much enhanced in the 17th Century by Rector John Cosin's furnishings and his extraordinary North Porch. The wonderful timber furnishings were completely destroyed by a devastating fire in 1998. Since then an extensive period of repair and rebuilding has taken place including new roofs, new windows and new interior. Although examples of Cosin's internal Church furnishings exist elsewhere architectural features are rarer and the North Porch is one of the best.

St. Brandon's is open to the public from dawn until dusk and has visitors who come to enjoy the building and its history. The Church is also proving increasingly popular for performances by Orchestral and Instrumental groups.

DEVON

LYNMOUTH

St John the Baptist church, Lynmouth EX35 6EP 

Grade II*

Church of England

Diocese of Exeter

£10,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to fund urgent repairs to the roof, gutters and the bell tower to prevent water damaging the church.

St John the Baptist church is a quiet place of calm in a bustling tourist location.

The first Anglican church to be erected in Lynmouth was a wooden church known as 'The Ark'. The present, more substantial church dates form 1870. It has a nave, chancel, North porch and bell turret. A south aisle was added in 1920 and a vestry was built with funds from the US Air Force after the flood of 1952. The church contains a memorial to 27 people who lost their lives in the flood at Lynmouth.

The church is open daily for members of the public to enjoy as a space of tranquillity and Christianity and also a place of interest.

MEETH

St Michael and All Angels Church, Meeth, EX20 3EP         

Grade   II*          

Church of England

Diocese of Exeter

£10,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to help fund a project to make the church tower safe and waterproof.

St Michael and All Angels Church is a small rural church clearly visible approaching Meeth on the A386 from the north or the south.  Although restored and refitted in 1893 the building is packed with history. It has retained many of its original Norman features with additions from the 14th and 15th centuries. Angels and fine bosses carved in wood look down from the 15th century wagon roof. The church has a Norman font with a lid that was added by Tudor craftsmen, as was the semi octagonal panelled pulpit.

The church has four bells are all listed: two of the bells are early medieval, from Exeter, inscribed with a cross and the words ‘Ave Maria’ and ‘Ave Maria Gracia’ respectively. The other two (by Johannes Stadler of Chulmleigh, 1714) are inscribed ‘Ring me round, I’ll sweetly sound’ and ‘Soli Deo Detur Gloria’ and the names of wardens John Lugg and Sam Jerman. The bells were rehung and rededicated by the Bishop of Plymouth in 1991, and are rung regularly for services.

The church is open every day during daylight hours and is currently used mainly for religious services, with an occasional concert. After restoration work and the addition of a toilet and a water supply, the aim is to hold further events to involve the community more by holding history and archaeology talks, teaching the art of bell-ringing and more concerts.

DORSET

BOURNEMOUTH

St Barnabas, Queen’s Park, Bournemouth BH8 9JN         

Church of England

Unlisted

Diocese of Winchester

£10,000 National Churches Trust Community Grant to help fund a project to allow full access to the building for people with mobility issues, including the provision of modern accessible toilets and to create a  soft play and a refreshment area to allow greater use of the building for community activities.

The church was built in 1968, and at the time won an architectural award for the design. The parish of Holdenhurst in which the church of St Barnabas is contains the Townsend Estate, which is recognised nationally as being one of the bottom 20% in terms of social deprivation in the UK. The church runs a not-for-profit pre-school from Monday to Friday and this serves the large residential area in which the church is situated.  

GLOUCESTERSHIRE

St Mary the Virgin, Frampton on Severn,GL2 7EH                                                             

Grade II*            

Church of England

Diocese of Gloucester

£10,000 National Churches Trust Community Grant to help fund a small extension to house a toilet and kitchen to enable more use of the church by the community for events and activities.

This beautiful church dates from 1315 AD and has been used for regular worship ever since. The church houses a 900 year old lead font, some beautiful stained glass and various effigies. The church is situated on the River Severn and is a focal point of the village.

HAMPSHIRE

Portsea

St George, Portsea, PO1 3AT     

Grade   II*

Church of England

Diocese of Portsmouth

On The Heritage At Risk Register              

£10,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to help fund a project to ensure the church is watertight by repairing the roof, guttering and drainage.

St George’s church is built in the Georgian style, unique within the city of Portsmouth and it is the oldest and most historic building within the parish.

The church is known as the shipwrights' church having been built by fifteen shipwrights from the dockyard overseen by Nicholas Vass. They were joined in the construction by "three gentlemen, one carpenter, one tallow chandler and one grocer”. Together they completed the building of the church in six months after which it was dedicated to St George.

During the Second World War, the area of Portsea suffered badly from bombing raids. The old Georgian houses in the square almost entirely disappeared, and St George's was badly damaged. The church was closed for ten years from 1941 - 1951 until a preliminary restoration in 1952 followed by further works twenty years later.

The church serves the local community including working with the local school and helping the local foodbank.  The church hall is used on a weekly basis by a variety of local community groups.

HEREFORDSHIRE

BOSBURY

Holy Trinity, Bosbury HR8 1QT   

Grade I

On The Heritage At Risk Register

Church of England

Diocese of Hereford

£10,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to help fund urgent repair work to the roof, to leadwork and stonework and to the bell tower.

Holy Trinity Church stands in the centre of the village and is of Norman foundation with some fine later medieval additions. The church’s massive detached tower was built in about 1230-1240 and is one of seven such towers in Herefordshire. Originally the tower had a spire, which was struck by lightning in 1638 and eventually replaced with the present pitched roof and weathervane in 1812. The tower was built for defensive purposes in the troubled border marches.

The medieval bishops of Hereford had a palace at Bosbury (supporting the village's proud boast that in pre-Conquest times it was a larger community than the City of Hereford), and frequently held court there. The palace remains are on the site of Old Court Farm behind the church.

Inside the church sanctuary, one on each of the north and south walls, are two fine examples of Renaissance Italian tombs, dedicated to members of the Harford family who lived in Bosbury throughout the 16th century.

The church sits in the centre of the village and it holds a central place in village life. Being open from dawn to dusk it provides, and is used, by residents and visitors alike as a place for quiet reflection. It is used for fundraising concerts and refreshments, practice space for musicians and coffee after morning services.

 UPPER SAPEY

St Michael and All Angels, Upper Sapey, WR6 6XR            

Grade II*

On The Heritage At Risk Register

Church of England

Diocese of Hereford

£40,000 National Churches Trust Cornerstone Grant to fund urgent repairs to the tower stonework, the chancel, porch, and to the nave floor.

St Michael's Church Upper Sapey is a Grade II* listed building that dates back to the Norman period with many fine Norman arches. The Tower and spire were built in 1859. This historic church has been the focus for community life for hundreds of years.

The Church is situated in the centre of the village in an elevated position with views over the countryside. It is a simple rustic Church that is much admired by all who visit it. Once fully repaired, new uses will include coffee mornings, educational courses and creative activities.

HERTFORDSHIRE

HEXTON

St Faith, Hexton, SG5 3JL             

Grade II*

Church of England

Diocese of St Albans

On The Heritage At Risk Register

£20,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to help fund a project to ensure the church retains its character and historic significance by carrying out urgent repairs to the roof and rainwater disposal systems.

The Grade II* building dates from the 13th century but parts may be even older. In 2004 the box pews were removed from the nave and a kitchen and toilet built into the base of the partially collapsed tower. The building is now well used as a community centre as well as a church. It is used by a Playgroup on weekday mornings during term time. It is also used for Music and Flower Festivals, by the school, for fundraising events and community and private functions. There is even a monthly Farmers` Market.

LANCASHIRE

CLITHEROE

United Reformed Church, Clitheroe, BB7 1AZ                                    

United Reformed Church

Unlisted              

£10,000 National Churches Trust Community Grant to help fund ‘The Street Level Church Project’ to open up the church to greater community use. Funding will help provide accessible toilet facilities.

Clitheroe United Reformed Church was built in 1862.   It is located near Pendle Hill and has links to Revd Thomas Jolly, a founder of Congregationalism in Lancashire. It is constructed of local grey limestone on a sloping site. Its frontage is on the town's main shopping street close to the castle gates.

The church is sometimes called 'Clitheroe's Village Hall' and it is extensively used by local people. Regular users are: Clitheroe Country Market, Ribcaged Theatre Company, Ribble Valley Dance, Baby & Toddler Group, 1st Pendle Cubs & Scouts, a Karate Club, monthly Craft markets and a Community Cafe.

LEESFIELD

St Thomas, Leesfield, OL4 5AT   

Grade II*            

Church of England

Diocese of Manchester

£10,000 National Churches Trust Community Grant to help fund a project to enable more use of the church by the community by providing accessible toilets, a community room and a kitchen.

The Church of St Thomas, Leesfield was constructed between 1844 and 1848 and is the work of E H Shellard. The Church is built of coursed stone with ashlar surrounds to openings quoins andparapets. There is a bell tower at the west with a slate covered roof.

The beauty of St Thomas Leesfield is evident as soon as you walk in, with a seating capacity of 600, it has its own splendid 3 Manual Organ and numerous stained glass windows. Four of these windows are by the Belgian stained glass artist, Jean Baptiste Capronnier which give a focal point to the west end of the church. The stone font with beautiful carved wood is situated at the rear of the church. 

The church is currently used on a regular basis by the Mothers' Union, cubs, scouts and brownies and the local school which uses the building for school events.

LIVERPOOL

LIVERPOOL

St Columba United Reformed Church, Liverpool L25 0NR              

Unlisted

United Reformed Church            

£10,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to help fund a project to re-roof the church with new tiles and so extend the use of the church building for over a 100 years.

The church sits in a prominent position in the Hunts Cross area and is highly visible to all residents and visitors to the area. The building is a rare form of 1960's architecture with only five other churches in the UK built in this style to the design of its architect Kenneth Paterson. This unique building has attracted national media interest as the TV programme Hollyoaks has used the church to televise a wedding as part of its series.

Both the Church and the Church hall are already much-loved and well-used by the community. Lots of groups make use of the church hall including a Craft group, weekly Parent and Toddler group, monthly police forum, monthly stamp fairs, children's parties, social evenings and private functions. St Columba Church buildings have unexplored potential as a space for both traditional purposes and exciting new ventures. The overall aim of the re-roofing project is to allow the church to continue to be a place of worship but also a comfortable and safe environment where the community can gather and enjoy.

St Helen’s

Holy Trinity, Parr Mount, St Helen’s WA9 1BY     

Grade   II

Church of England

Diocese of Liverpool      

On The Heritage At Risk Register

£40,000 National Churches Trust Cornerstone Grant to help fund a project to replace old mortar which has trapped water and damaged the walls,  to then re-point the walls, reslate the roof and replaster and redecorate the  interior.

Holy Trinity Church was built in 1857 to serve what was then an industrial and mining community. The architects were W & J Hay. The construction material chosen for Holy Trinity is unusual in the extreme: copper slag, a very hard mineral by-product of the local chemical industry. The blocks are roughly hexagonal in shape although no two are exactly the same, with the walls sometimes described as "crazy-paved". The church contains the second-oldest surviving use of glued laminated timber beams in the world.

The church is open for community events most days of the week and several evenings. Members of the public are welcome to drop in and have a cup of tea any time the church is open.

NEW BRIGHTON

SS Peter, Paul and Philomena, New Brighton, Wallasey, Wirral    CH45 9LT             

Grade II

Roman Catholic

RC Diocese of Shrewsbury

On The Heritage At Risk Register

£20,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to help fund a project to continue repair work at this landmark church including repairs to roofs, brickwork, plasterwork, concrete and windows.

A major Wirral landmark, this church's majestic dome is visible from afar. Fr. Thomas Mullins, a determined priest, raised money to build this basilica-like church during the depression, for the fashionable New Brighton seaside resort with its growing Catholic population.

The Sacred Heart Basilica in Lisbon inspired Fr. Mullins who engaged E. Bower Norris to design the church. Architecturally it owes much to Lutyens' famous, unexecuted de-sign for Liverpool Cathedral, evident in the use of brick with spare stone dressings and in the design of the domes.

The church is built in a Roman baroque form, plain nave and high altar of beautiful Italian marbles, reflecting the 1930s fashion for subtle pale greens and creams colours. The Lady Altar has a strong blue lapis lazuli front and the Sacred Heart Altar is fronted with red stone. Fr Mullins brought a number of beautiful C17th Portuguese statues to the church, that of the Virgin being particularly fine. During the Second World War, sailors, returning from Atlantic convoys, knew the church as The Dome of Home, signifying safety from German U-boats.

 The church was closed in 2008 due to the cost of repairs, but following an enthusiastic local campaign it reopened in 2012 when the Bishop established it as a national Shrine Church, cared for by the Institute of Christ the King. The Institute successfully completed their first Heritage Lottery Fund Restoration Project in September 2014, with support from the National Churches Trust.

NORFOLK

KNAPTON

St Peter and St Paul, Knapton     NR28 0SB            

Grade I

Church of England

Diocese of Norwich

On The Heritage At Risk Register

£40,000 National Churches Trust Cornerstone Grant to help fund a project to carry out urgent repairs to the church roof, gutters, tower walls and stonework. The repairs will allow the church’s bells to be rung again as the tower is currently closed and allow the church to be open for generations to come, stop further damage and save its beautiful roof.

St Peter and St Paul’s principal glory is its magnificent medieval double hammerbeam roof, dis-playing inside, on its various parts, no less than 138 subtly painted angels with spread wings. This has been described as ‘probably the handsomest parish church roof in the country’.

The church is built of Norfolk flint. The tower and chancel of the church are 14th century and the nave was remodelled in the 15th century. The chancel has a priest's door with a very rare small porch.

The church is used for regular Sunday Worship and for weddings, funerals and baptisms. The local school use the church for special services such as Harvest Festival. Heritage weekends take place including local history displays, flower displays and bell ringing demonstrations. Concerts are also held in the Church.

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE

LENTON

Holy Trinity, Lenton         NG7 2FF              

Grade II*

Church of England

Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham

£40,000 National Churches Trust Cornerstone Grant to help fund a project to re-open the church, which has been temporarily closed since August 2014 due to concerns about the structural safety of the roof.

The grant will help fund urgent work to replace the whole roof, which has been seriously damaged by dry rot, and to improve and/or replace gutters and drains.

The church sits at the heart of the New Lenton conservation area, two miles west of Nottingham City Centre. The church tower is described by the City Council's Conservation Area as a "key focal point" of the conservation area, and the church and church yard contribute to creating "an important oasis in this intensely urban part of the city".

The church itself was built in 1841-2  and seats 660 persons. The Church is grade II* listed, and sits within a group of buildings that are grade II listed, including the churchyard, former vicarage (Unity House), and old church school (now a Gurdwara).

Holy Trinity has a number of notable features, including lancet windows, some distinctive stained glass, including an attractive and unusual floral east window dedicated to Francis Wright, the founder of the church.

However, the most exceptional feature of the interior is the richly carved mid-12th century font believed to originate from the old Lenton Priory. It is one of only five rectangular narrative fonts in the country, and features scenes of Jesus' Baptism, Crucifixion (with the soul of the penitent thief emerging from his mouth and soaring up-wards, that of the impenitent thief being consumed by a dragon) and Resurrection, with the three Marys at the Sepulchre. Also depicted - uniquely - is the Dome of St Sophia in Istanbul.

The building has been temporarily closed since August 2014 due to concerns about structural safety of the roof. After re-opening, there are plans for regular public access and activities including monthly open days, two history days per year and school visits.

OXFORDSHIRE

SWALCLIFFE

St Peter and St Paul, Swalcliffe, OX15 5DR

Grade I

Church of England

Diocese of Oxford

£10,000 National Churches Trust Community Grant to fund a project to enable far greater use of the church than has previously been possible by installing a water supply, modern accessible toilets and a kitchen/servery.

The fine medieval of Church of St Peter and St Paul is a large Horton stone building under a lead roof. It was built between the 12th and 14th centuries on the site of an 11th century church. The font dates from the 14th century. Traces of medieval wall paintings remain in the north and south aisles. The church contains original seats and choir stalls in the chancel that were installed in 1446. It also has 17th century pews, rare examples from that period.

The church is not only centrally located in the village, it is central to the life of the community beyond a place of worship. It is regularly used for ecumenical services, concerts, special village events, fetes and other events. Swalcliffe church is visited regularly by villagers and by tourists visiting the area or the nearby mediaeval Tithe Barn which houses a fine collection of rural carts.

LONDON

STOKE NEWINGTON

St Andrew, Stoke Newington, London N16 5DU

Grade   II*          

Church of England                          

Diocese of London

On The Heritage At Risk Register

£20,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to help fund a project to help make the building watertight including reslating roofs, repairing windows and stonework and rainwater goods.

St Andrew’s church is one of London’s best kept secrets - an amazing piece of high Victorian architecture in Stoke Newington. A programme of extensive repairs is about to bring the church back to life.

The parish of St Andrew was created to accommodate the expanding population of Stoke Newington in the last quarter of the 19th century.  Improved public transport meant that men working in the City or even the West End could easily commute to and from their new homes. 

The church, designed by the prolific ecclesiastical architect AW Blomfield, was consecrated in 1884, a year after the foundation stone was laid.  The church boasted a lawn tennis club, an enthusiastic and very active choir, a committee programming dramatic performances and concerts, and two guilds that organised walks, bicycle rides, and visits for the men and women of the parish.  The congregation regularly made generous donations to a variety of charities.

Today, it is the murals and stained glass that make St Andrew’s one of the most remarkable churches in London.  Few are so extensively decorated and even fewer benefit from the coherence of a unified design concept. 

The exterior of the church, in Kentish rag with Bath stone dressings does not draw attention to itself but the interior is richly painted with frescoes along the north and south aisles, at the west end and in the chancel where there are also some paintings on wooden panels.  Heaton, Butler and Bayne, the highly regarded Victorian and Edwardian church decorators undertook all the work and Alexander Higerty, a member of their staff, painted all the murals in the aisles and baptistery and at least some in the chancel too.

A World War II bomb fell on the south side of the church, destroying the clerestory windows and the lancet windows in the nave on that side.  Scavenged glass was used to frame the replacement clear glass windows.  Poignantly, the dedications of the lancet windows remain visible on the stonework below.  The large east window was also lost to war time damage and has been replaced.

While the Victorian congregation was large and relatively wealthy, today's is quite the reverse. Nearly 50% of the parish is now made up of Haredin orthodox Jews who now comprise about 50% of the parish population and the congregation who worship at St Andrew's today struggle to make ends meet and to manage the church.

The Heritage Lottery Fund has awarded £250,000 towards the first phase of the repairs and the National Churches Trust has now added a further £20,000.  The parish offers many opportunities, not only to show off the fine murals and windows but also to engage with the whole of the Stoke Newington community.  The congregation is keen to take forward improvements in the mission as well as in the fabric of the church.

HACKNEY

St John of Jerusalem, Hackney   E9 7DH 

Grade II*

Church of England

Diocese of London

On The Heritage At Risk Register

£10,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to help fund a project to make the church watertight including urgent repairs to the windows,  re-slating the south aisle roof, and replacing deteriorating rainwater disposal systems.

St John of Jerusalem opened its doors to the people of South Hackney in 1848. Designed by Edward Charles Hakewill, its style and size encapsulate Victorian Gothic ideals. St John's is now listed Grade II*. Unfortunately, Hakewill and the first rector, Henry Handley Norris, opted to build the church from Kentish ragstone, with Wealdon sandstone dressings. These sandy limestones are very susceptible to decay and the building needed repairs almost as soon as it was built.

The church is a local landmark, valued by its neighbours, as demonstrated when many of them recently contributed to the restoration of the tower clock. It hosts regular meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous and a project introducing babies to classical music as well as one-off charitable activities such as a 2014 concert to raise funds for a UNICEF programme for Syrian children.

Members of the congregation are involved in other activities such as the Hackney Winter Night Shelter but St John's is unable to host these because it has one ancient toilet and one sink of a similar age used for washing hands, coffee cups, table tops and floors.

When the last of the leaking roofs are fixed, work partly funded by the National Churches Trust, the church will develop the interior to provide flexible meeting rooms and appropriate kitchen and toilet facilities.

NOTTING DALE

St Clement, Notting Dale W11 4EQ

Grade II

Church of England

Diocese of London

On The Heritage At Risk Register

£10,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to help fund a project to help make the church watertight and allow it to expand its outreach work by carrying out urgent repairs to the nave roof, stonework and replacing deteriorating rainwater disposal systems.

St Clement is a Grade II listed church because it is “a very skilful if unusual example of an Anglo-Catholic church of the 1860s”. The vast wooden roof is supported by scissor braces and held up by slender iron column.

 St Clement's was built from the personal resources of its first vicar, Arthur Dalgarno Robinson. He devoted the majority of his life to alleviating the extreme poverty of the area, and the church was designed not to overpower the neighbouring modest homes, but to sit within them as a source of succour and strength. The parish today is in the poorest 8% in the country according to a recent report by the Church Urban Fund. This reflects the level of poverty in North Kensington where St Clement's, now sandwiched between the Great West Road and its approach road, is based.

The project will improve the condition of St Clement's by making it weather tight, It will also benefit the wider community as once the building is fully repaired,  programmes to help local children with their education will  be expanded.

SHROPSHIRE

Holy Trinity Church, Coalbrookdale,         TF8 7NS               

Grade II*

Church of England

Diocese of Hereford                    

£5,000 National Churches Trust Community Grant to help improve access for wheelchair users, families with children and to encourage greater use by the local community by installing an accessible toilet.

Situated in The Ironbridge Gorge World Heritage Site Holy Trinity Church is set in a beautiful wooded valley in the heart of the Shropshire countryside. It was built thanks to Abraham Darby IV, of the family of ironmasters responsible for the world's first iron bridge, who donated money to the town to construct this church. Built 1850-1854, it stands in a commanding position on Church Road.

The church has wonderful stained glass Flemish windows, ten bells in the clock tower which ring regularly, stone carvings of members of the Darby family above the carved pews andan amazing painted ceiling given by Muriel Cope-Darby in memory to her brother Lt. Morris Alfred Alexander Darby who fell in war overseas in 1915.

Buried in the churchyard as are the parents of Captain Mathew Webb, first man to swim the English Channel.

The church is used regularly by the local Church of England primary school for services, celebrations and learning opportunities, heritage events, concerts and meetings, social groups and as a popular venue for church weddings.

YORKSHIRE

CRAGG VALE

St John the Baptist in the Wilderness, Cragg Vale, HX7 5TF           

Grade II

Church of England

Diocese of West Yorkshire and the Dales

£10,000 National Churches Trust Community Grant to fund a project to provide modern facilities which will be available to the whole community.  Work will include providing a stage, a kitchen, a dining area/dance floor, meeting rooms, an office and modern accessible toilets. 

St John the Baptist in the Wilderness is located in a rural idyll - the Elphin Brook runs under the bridge in front of the church, and on down to the village of Mytholmroyd below, where it joins the river Calder.

The building of the church started in 1837 on donated land and it was consecrated in 1839. The church is built of local stone. The ceiling in the church is of an interesting construction which enables it to span the whole width of the church without any vaulting or lowering. In 1991, major structural work was carried out on the tower at a cost of £21,000 which was all raised locally within the community.

The churchyard is the final resting place of many of the Hinchliffe family, major mill owners, as well as a wide range of other notable local families.

The church is supported by a small dedicated community of locals who help provide a wide range of community activities and events.

HAWES

St Margaret's, Hawes     DL8 3QL

Grade II

Church of England

Diocese of West Yorkshire and the Dales.

On The Heritage At Risk Register

£15,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to help fund a project to make the church tower structurally sound and to make the church watertight including urgent repair work to church roof, walls, windows and the exterior stonework of the tower.

St Margaret’s is located in the market town of Hawes, one of the largest settlements in the Dales National Park. The Pennine Way, a walking trail regarded as the toughest, most demanding, and most challenging in Britain, passes through the town.

A Victorian church, it was built in 1850 and contains fine stained glass windows designed in the 1870s by Mr GJ Baguley of Newcastle-on-Tyne, a millennium window depicting aspects of Dales Life by Sep Waugh of York and pews hand carved by Robert Thompson the "mouseman" of Kilburn.

The Church is used as one of the venues for the annual Swaledale Festival.  Concerts of various sorts including Brass Band, Choral and Accordion Band are held in the church.

MIRFIELD

St Mary the Virgin, Mirfield  WF14 9HY

Grade II*            

Church of England

Diocese of West Yorkshire and the Dales

On The Heritage At Risk Register

£10,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to help fund urgent repairs to the roof, stonework, windows, and gutters.

The current church of St Mary the Virgin was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, who was probably the foremost church architect of his day and whose other work included the Midland Grand Hotel at St Pancras Station, the Albert Memorial, and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London.

The church and its immediate surroundings have a wealth of heritage going back many centuries, the oldest is the motte and bailey to the north of the present church.

St Mary’s was built between 1869 and 1871, to the west of an earlier church which dated back from the 12th century. The church is Grade II* listed and several monuments and surrounding structures are also listed in their own right. The church is built in Early English style. The tower is 42.4m high with a perimeter of 36.6m and houses a clock with faces on the west east and south aspects. The tower is somewhat larger than was originally planned, in order to accommodate a peal of ten bells, which is believed to be the only peal of ten bells in Yorkshire.

The font is made of green marble with four rivers of paradise represented by sculptured figures in granite foil. The oak canopy was added in 1935. The reredos is made of alabaster with four sculptured figures of St. Peter, St. Paul, John the baptist and St. Matthew. The niches on either side of the reredos were added in 1878 and are filled with Silvisti Mosaics, executed by the Murano Company of Venice. The High Altar is made from oak and is covered with a Yorkshire stone slab. The eagle lectern is in brass. The pulpit is in oak and was designed by the architect.

St Mary’s is the civic church in the town. It is a focus for musical and cultural events and activities, offering a wide variety of events beyond weekly services. These include brass band and orchestral concerts, organ recitals, flower festivals, a weekly cafe, civic celebrations and a seasonal calendar which supports community life including Remembrance Day, Harvest festival and Mothering Sunday etc.). The Friends of St Mary’s Community Heritage site was formed two years ago to develop the site and make it available for the wider community.

SHEFFIELD

Church of the Nazarene, Sheffield S2 3BB            

Unlisted

Wesleyan-Holiness Church

£20,000 National Churches Trust Community Grant to help bring the church to the community and the community to the church by installing modern accessible toilets, updating kitchens and refreshment facilities. 

In 1897 St Peter's Mission Church opened in the Heeley area of Sheffield. It is said that during its heyday over 1000 people attended Church Services and Sunday school at St Peter's every week! However, by 1979 St Peter's Mission Church had been forced to close due to diminishing congregations, local housing demolition and population changes. The building stood alone on wasteland that had once been terraced housing, and soon became vandalised and derelict.

The Church of the Nazarene approached St Peter's Mission Church and it was agreed that the building would be sold for £1. The first service was held at Christmas in 1981 and was attended by 12 people. The church is now located in the heart of a busy residential area: new housing has been built on the wasteland and there are thriving local shops, transport links and amenities within 50 metres of the building.

The Sheffield Church of the Nazarene has a vision to “Bring the church to the community and the community to the church”. Nearly 500 people attend the building each week (320 for non-faith activities). Over the years, the church has gained a positive reputation with local people and with statutory and voluntary organisations.

SHEFFIELD,

Christ Church, Heeley,   S2 3AE  

Grade   II            

Church of England

Diocese of Sheffield

£10,000  National Churches Trust Community Grant to help fund a project to open up the church building for more community use by installing new toilets with baby changing facilities and a new kitchen.

Heeley Parish Church, or Christ Church Heeley as it is otherwise known, is a Grade II listed building, founded in 1846 from part of St Mary’s Parish on Bramall Lane. The first vicar was Rev. Henry Denson Jones, and the church was opened in August 1848. The church was extended in 1890 and 1897 with the addition of the side aisles and vestry, and the clock in the tower of Heeley church was added in 1901 to commemorate the long reign of Queen Victoria.

A little known fact is that one of the founders of modern football, Nathaniel Creswick, is buried in the churchyard of Heeley Parish Church.

The community currently use the building on a regular basis, not only for Sunday services but for other activities held each week including three groups for pre-school children, three groups for children/youth work and coffee mornings. Holiday Clubs are also held three times a year for primary school age children. The local Nepalese community attend Sunday morning services but also use the building on a Saturday for their own unique worship as well as for youth groups and conferences. In addition, the church building has been and is being used by external groups for meetings and educational classes.

WEST MIDLANDS

SOLIHULL

Solihull Methodist Church, Solihull, B91 1LG                                     

Unlisted

Methodist

£10,000  National Churches Trust Community Grant to help fund a project to open up the church building for more community use, which includes installing a kitchen/tea station, three more toilets, a new entrance area with new glass doors and to replace pews with chairs to create a more flexible space.

The church was built in 1937 in a traditional format with solid oak wooden pews, choir stalls and a matching oak pulpit. The choir stalls were removed in 1993 to open up the chancel area. Until now it has only been used for church services and the occasional concert because of the inflexibility of the pews. There are beautiful stained glass windows in both the north and south transepts and an attractive rose window at the end of the chancel.

Solihull Methodist Church is a growing church serving the local community with just over 300 members and more than 1,000 people a month attending activities on the premises. The church is there for the benefit of others, shown by the fact that over 48 groups, both church and community, currently meet in the church hall which is now at capacity.

WILTSHIRE

EBBESBOURNE WAKE

St John the Baptist Church, Ebbesbourne Wake, SP5 5JN

Grade   II*          

Church of England

Diocese of Salisbury

£20,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to help fund urgent repairs to save the 14th Century tower which is at risk of falling down.

Ebbesbourne Wake is a small village tucked away in the hidden valley of the River Ebble, within the Cranbourne Chase and west Wiltshire Downs area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

The existing stone church of St John the Baptist first appeared some time after the Norman Conquest and the existing font was installed in 1224, with the bell tower being added in the 15th or early 16th century. The five church bells can be heard across the village on a Tuesday night when the team practices and whenever a service is held.

In the History of Modern Wiltshire (written in 1829!), the church was described as “mean in the extreme”, an observation on its simplicity. Indeed, it is a simple church, yet it is this very simplicity that is both the essence and charm of St John the Baptist Church.  The wooden roof, however, is a wonder of craftsmanship, and within are plaques and memorials to a number of notable and important villagers from over the centuries.

The village is noted in the Domesday Book (1086) as Eblesborne and although history does not recall how or why, Hereward the Wake’s coat of arms today can be seen on the church tower.

As Wikipedia puts it “village life today for the population of 226 centres around the unassuming  Horseshoe Inn and the parish church of St John the Baptist” and it is a short pilgrimage from the church to the pub following  a Sunday service.

NORTHERN IRELAND

BALLYKELLY

Tamlaghtfinlagan Parish Church (St Findluganus Church), Ballykelly, BT49 9HS

Grade B+ (II*)

Church of Ireland

The Diocese of Derry and Raphoe

£12,000  National Churches Trust Repair  Grant to help fund a project to make the church structurally sound and weather-tight, including urgent repairs to the tower and spire and to the rainwater disposal system.

The original church at Ballykelly was reported "to be in ruins" in 1622, it was restored and enlarged by the Fishmongers and known as the Garrison Church. It was destroyed in 1641, restored in 1644, destroyed again in 1689 but again restored by order of King William III in 1692.

The present church was built by the Earl of Bristol (Bishop) in 1795, the chancel, vestry and gallery were added in 1851 and the north aisle in 1859.

 In 1934 the parish church was completely renovated, choir stalls made, the east window taken out and remade, new louvres placed on the NW side of the tower, much pointing done to the tower and walls of the church. In 1935 the vestry was enlarged and coalhouse placed under it.

As well as Sunday services, the church is used during the week by the Roe Valley Community Choir. The Church also hosts annual Shackleton Association service. This association was established when RAF Ballykelly ceased to exist in 1971. This group of men and women served at this base at some point in their service and they return with their families every year for a Church service and are served a meal.

WHITEHEAD

Whitehead Methodist Church, Whitehead,BT38 9QA                     

Methodist          

B1 (II) Listed      

£20,000  National Churches Trust Community Grant to help fund a project to extend the upper floor of the church, reposition the staircase for disabled access and convert an air raid shelter into a  new church hall, which will increase space for community meals and coffee mornings.        

Whitehead Methodist Church was built in 1900 in the Arts and Crafts Style and possesses a large front lawn. The church building comprises a single storey church sanctuary with seating for 160 and an attached two-storey caretaker's house (no longer used as such). The house is now used for meetings and kitchen/toilets area. An additional building was built adjacent to the church on part of the lawn to serve as an Air- Raid Shelter in the Second World War. This building is now used for the Sunday School.

The church is actively involved in local community life. It financially supports the Genesis Outreach venture for young people in the town and for the last two years have been an integral part of the Whitehead Victorian Fair at Christmas time, when the church has sold refreshments, had craft stalls and hosted Carol singing in the church as well as providing the site for the town’s Christmas tree. The premises are also used for meetings by various community groups such as crochet class and Christian Aid.  

SCOTLAND

North Ayrshire

Ardeer Parish Church, Stevenston, North Ayrshire KA20 3LA      

Listing C (II)

Church of Scotland         

£40,000 National Churches Trust Cornerstone Grant to help fund a major project of urgent work  including replacing the  tower roof, repairing stonework and windows and replacing gutters

This Gothic-style church of 1894/95 was designed by distinguished Edinburgh architect, Hippolyte Blanc. Sitting at the heart of this former industrial community on a corner site close to the main road and transport links, the church is of red sandstone and has an octagonal crenellated tower with stained glass windows and additional hall facilities.

The church is at the centre of this area which is listed as the 8th most deprived place in Scotland. The church runs a food bank and once the kitchen is upgraded, local authority Social Services hopes to run a Lunch Club and other facilities to support the community.

South Lanarkshire

St Columbkille, Rutherglen, Scotland G73 2SL     

Listing Grade A (I)

Roman Catholic

RC Diocese of Motherwell

£15,000 National Churches Trust Community Grant to help fund the installation of accessible toilets as part of a major project to help make the church more accessible and reduce energy use. The project also involves renewing heating, lighting, pews and the PA system, installing new boilers, building a new entrance porch and access ramps.               

Originally founded in 1851 the present Catholic parish church of St Columbkille was consecrated in 1940, being one of the few church buildings completed following the onset of the Second World War.

The building is recognised as being of outstanding architectural significance being a Listed Building with Category A status. Designed by architects Gillespie, Kidd & Coia in the period 1934-40, the building is a modern interpretation of Italian Romanesque architecture a common feature being a tall frontal tower. It has a massive façade with five arcaded bays at ground level with tall windows and sculptured stone statues of Christ and the four Evangelists set in niches along with bas reliefs. 

The Church is enriched by work commissioned from a number of artists include the painted mural ceilings to the Sacred Heart Chapel by Mr Walter Pritchard (Glasgow School of Art) and to the Lady Chapel by Mr William Crosbie, A.R.S.A., and these chapels are further embellished by marble work using marble from Connemara (Ireland) and Carrara (Italy).

The Church is prominently sited approximately in the middle of Rutherglen Main Street and provides twice daily Masses. The adjacent Church Hall plays a vital role in bringing together local people including  various charitable organisations lincluding a Food Bank, AA, , Dementia Support Group and Children’s’ after school care which meet on a regular  basis.

WALES

Carmarthenshire

LLANDDAROG

St Twrog's Church, Llanddarog, SA32 8NT

Grade II

Church in Wales

£10 ,000 National Churches Trust Repair  Grant to help fund a project to provide a safe and welcoming building by carrying out urgent repairs to the church’s unique  tower and spire which are deteriorating and pose a safety risk to parishioners and visitors.

St Twrog’s Church, Llanddarog is a well-known landmark for visitors who have travelled through West Wales. Its position and visibility on a hill overlooking the A48 trunk road means that it dominates the skyline by day and night, courtesy of floodlighting.

The existing structure is a Grade II listed building, built in the 1850s on the site of a previous church, and designed by the architect R K Penson. The uniqueness of the building is created by the spire-tower, some 100 feet in height, which is a single structure built of sandstone.

St Twrog’s Church serves the whole community.  Besides regular services, weddings, baptisms and special events for parishioners, the church is used by several community organisations, and the local church school, to celebrate various activities and occasions.

Monmouthshire

RAGLAN

St Cadoc, Raglan, Monmouthshire NP15 2EN      

Church in Wales

Grade II*

£20,000 National Churches Trust Repair Grant to fund urgent repairs to tiled roofs and gutters and to tower buttresses and to refurbish rainwater goods.

St Cadoc Church is partly fourteenth century with additions dating from the 15th century. It suffered much damage during the Civil War and was partly restored by 1698. In the 1860s further restoration and enlargement took place and much of the current interior dates from this time. It seats over 400 people.

The church has a fine barrel vaulted boarded ceiling divided into panels by moulded ribs, with gilded floral bosses at the inter-sections. Many notable local persons are buried in the churchyard and a research project (in partnership with the local school) is seeking to identify the burials and link them to local historical events.

St Cadoc's provides a place for worship, sharing, sup-port, counselling, fellowship and learning. Its regular activities throughout the week include services of worship, groups for the elderly, for ladies and for families. The church plays host to some events during the annual Raglan Music Festival and at other times it hold music recitals and lectures. In the future the church will expand the range of opportunities and facilities for community use of the building.