About our new office
Published: Tuesday, July 8, 2014
We are on the ground floor of a building designed in 1898 by the eminent Edwardian architect Sir Edwin Lutyens.
Our new office is at 7 Tufton Street, Westminster, London SW1P 3QB. The building, built in 1905-07, was originally used as the Church Institute for St John's, Smith Square. It was subsequently taken over by the Society of the Faith in 1935 under a 999 year lease. It was listed as Grade II in 1987.
The building is built of dark red brick with stone dressings and a pantile roof. There is a basement, a ground floor and two upper floors, the topmost being a dormered attic.
Accessed by a stairway and about ten feet above pavement level, our office is an aisled, church-like interior with a groin-vaulted central area. The primary illumination comes from 'clerestory' windows in the central area and windows to light wells at the rear of the building.
The basement is occupied by Watts and Co. the world's foremost purveyor of fine ecclesiastical designs, textiles, furnishings and accessories and the first floor and second floors house various office and workshop spaces.
In appearance the building is a version of an Italianate palazzo, reinterpreted in a Georgian style. The ground floor has a stone plinth with three large stone archivolt arched openings with flanking panelled piers. The outer openings are doorways, the central one is now a display window.
A stone band marks the first floor with five tall windows with recessed glazing bar sashes in stone architraves with cornices, and a thinner stone bar marking the sills. The roof is edged with a prominent moulded eaves cornice. The upper floor is illuminated by large glazing bar sashed dormers, the central one pedimented.