Foundation Grants - Apply
The Foundation Grant Programme can award grants of £500 to £5,000 towards urgent maintenance works and small investigative works costing up to £10,000 excl. VAT (grants will never exceed 50% of project cost).
We will consider applications from listed and unlisted Christian places of worship, of any denomination, across the UK. We continue to encourage applications from our priority areas - North East England, Northern Ireland and Wales, this is not to the exclusion of churches in other areas.
The application process begins with an eligibility quiz. If you cannot answer yes to each question your application will not be successful.
The questions include:
- Is yours a Christian place of worship (but not a cathedral) within the UK, and open for at least six services of public worship each year?
- Do you own the building or have the right to carry out the work? If the church is not part of a major denomination then is the denomination registered with Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, or has it got charitable status?
- Was your place of worship built as a place of worship originally and is it more than 30 years old? And are the works that this phase will inform, be either directly to the building or attached to it?
- Is the building open to the public for a minimum of 100 days a year beyond worship use, or will be within 1 year of project completion?
- Have you already raised at least 50% of this phase of the total project cost?
- Is the project yet to start (we don't accept applications for projects that have already started)?
- Are two quotes in place for each element of the work in this application? (If not please take a look at our MaintenanceBooker services and register online to get a free quote if the services are available in your area)
- If already appointed - is the project being led by a qualified professional, with conservation accreditation from a recognised institution if it is a listed building? (please review the guidance note for more detail)
How to apply
Before applying - be sure to first read the Guidance Note below. The Guidance contains notes on the scoring criteria, advice on completing the application form, a list of supporting documents that will be required from you, and details of the terms and conditions of any grant award made etc.
Please read this document in full before applying
The Foundation Grant Programme is OPEN. Decisions will be made on a rolling basis from the end of January. The final deadline for decisions in 2020 will be 30 October 2020.
Decisions in 2020 will be made on a rolling basis. We will aim to notify applicants of a decision within 6 weeks after the point of application, providing all supporting documents have been provided. Final decisions on all grant applications will be made by our Grants Committee, comprised of experts from the church and heritage sectors.
Unfortunately the amount of funding available is limited. Therefore we sadly cannot guarantee your success, and can only offer grants towards a small proportion of the many deserving projects which we are asked to support each round. We strongly encourage you to apply for as many other grants as possible and to start local fundraising as early as you can. For more funding sources and fundraising advice please click here.
We can only accept applications submitted online.
To review the questions in advance click here.