Beautifully updated ancient church.
It was founded c583 by St Madoc, a disciple of St David, who is also credited with founding the Cathedral of Ferns in Ireland. It has always been a small church serving a scattered rural population but gained some notoriety in the nineteenth century for its high church practices. Visible remains of this are the large oak altar, reredos, and tabernacle. The church was largely rebuilt on its medieval foundations in 1883, the South wall and medieval font being the only parts of the earlier church to survive. There is some interesting twentieth century stained glass, one window showing a very blond Christ in a carpenter’s workshop, the window of which shows the view of St Bride’s Bay from Haroldston Hill.
The recently restored St Madoc of Fern church to the south of the village of Haroldston West is a must see.
Look out for woodland birds and small mammals. Great views of the coast and the islands of Ramsey and Skomer if the weather is fine.