Opened for worship in 1776, the church is most famously associated with William Wilberforce and the group of friends known to history as 'the Clapham Sect'.
A Cornerstone Grant to help fund urgent repairs to the spire, 170 feet tall and a major local landmark. St Mary’s in Clapham is one of the major Catholic Victorian churches of South London. It was opened to serve the growing numbers of Catholics living around Clapham Common in the middle of the 19th Century who came to work on the new roads and railways, as well as meet the demand by the rising middle classes to enlarge their domestic staffs. The church was designed in a Gothic style by William Wardell and has later additions by J E Bentley, architect of Westminster Cathedral.