The Presidents' Award
The Presidents’ Award for Church Architecture is for the best new church architecture and for reordering, extensions or alterations to existing church buildings.
It is awarded on behalf of the Ecclesiastical Architects and Surveyors Association President and the National Churches Trust’s Joint Presidents, the Archbishops of Canterbury and York.
Projects are eligible if they have been completed within the last three years or after the Practical Completion stage in their development. The award is open to church buildings of all Christian denominations in the UK.
Projects must be led, overseen and supervised by a suitably qualified professional, usually a professionally qualified architect (listed on the Register of Architects) or a chartered building surveyor (MRICS or FRICS).
Where the building is listed, the professional leading on conservation aspects should have accreditation from one of these conservation accreditation schemes at the stated level. This requirement will become mandatory for entry to the awards from 2021.
- The Register of Architects Accredited in Building Conservation (AABC). Architects must be listed at category 'A'.
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). Architects must be listed as 'Conservation Architect' or ‘Specialist Conservation Architect'.
- The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS). Architects must be listed as 'Advanced'.
- Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT). Listed at ‘Accredited Conservationist’ level.
The award comprises a chalice and paten, commissioned by the Incorporated Church Building Society, and made after World War II. It was originally loaned to a new or seriously war damaged church. The winning church receives a £500 prize.
Nominations can now be made by using the webform below. The closing date is 1 July 2019. We'll be shortlisting entries in September, and we will be in touch if your project is amongst the finalists. If so, you will be invited to the award ceremony on 31 October 2019, and asked to submit further information about the project. If you'd like to speak to us about the award, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7222 0605. Good luck!